- 1958 Mercedes-Benz 190 Ponton body modernized with a 2002 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor (R170) chassis and powertrain
- Only 32,098 miles on the chassis!
- No expense spared! California professional build with excellent fit and finish!
- Two-year build completed in 2018; all bodywork professionally done in welded and formed steel; no fiberglass.
- Given to former owner’s wife as a Christmas present
- Stunning Signal Red exterior with all new chrome and tan leather interior with red piping
- 2.3L, supercharged, DOHC, 16-valve, four-cylinder (code M111.983)
- Five-speed automatic transmission (code 5G-TRONIC) with upgraded driveshaft
- SLK instrument panel
- Air-conditioning, anti-lock brakes and onboard diagnostics
- Documentation includes body restoration and build photos
- Titled as a 1958 Mercedes 190D on a California title
Would you take a look at this! Most likely, you know that we love our classic Mercedes-Benz’s here at Motoexotica Classic Cars and we have always particularly loved the classic style of the “Ponton” body of the 1950’s. We admit though, that the diesels of that era really have a hard time keeping up with modern traffic so we have found a solution!
This 1958 190D Ponton body was complety restored and matted with a chassis from a low mileage 2002 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor (R170). The restoration and build was completely professional with absolutely no expense spared. Everything was done with welded and formed steel and no fiberglass was used. After doing some serious research, the owner figured out that the Ponton bodies have the exact track dimensions of a newer SLK chassis and the chassis only had to be lengthened by 11” with a new welded metal section. The build took over 2 years to complete and was a Christmas gift for his wife. Today, the chassis only has 32,000 miles.
The instrument panel from the SLK was fitted into the 190 body. The 190’s body parts are assembled together, primered and sanded. The body was disassembled again and painted, piece by piece. The car was later re-assembled, sanded and polished and the chrome installed. New old stock 190D seats were reupholstered in tan leather with red piping.
Now dressed in Signal Red, the car’s paint and trim are in overall excellent order. The bodywork is straight and solid after its transformation. The engine bay is extremely tidy, the battery looks good and the cargo area under the trunk lid comes with a net and is in great shape. The chrome, wraparound bumpers are in fine form and fit tightly to the rest of the car.
This Benz rolls on Lemans Touring radials, size 205/55R16 at all corners and each one is mounted on SLK factory alloy wheel. The wheels are in good, original order while the tires are in very good shape.
Under the hood is a 2.3L, supercharged, DOHC, 16-valve four-cylinder engine (code M111.983). The motor is hooked to a five-speed automatic transmission (code 5G-TRONIC) with refurbished driveshaft. Driver convenience features include air-conditioning, anti-lock brakes and onboard diagnostics. The doors and trunk unlock with the key and the window cranks were kept original.
Inside, the all-tan interior is in overall very good order. The new-old stock 190D seats are swathed in leather, and those and the complimenting carpet are all in very good order, as is the headliner. There’s a modern M-B four-spoke steering wheel, however, the car’s dual front airbags are not functional. The SLK dashboard is in excellent order, as are the inner door panels. A floor-mounted shifter and a factory AM/FM stereo with CD player complete the interior.
Documentation includes photos of the restoration with captions.
If you find this blend of classic and modern Mercedes thrilling, you owe it to yourself to visit MotoeXotica Classic Cars and check out this car in person. Stop by today!
More info: Listing has ended. Search on eBay for similar 1958 Mercedes-Benz 190
Seller's other items: motoexotica
Location: Fenton, Missouri, United States